Marvel’s Agents of SH.I.E.L.D. returned to WonderCon this weekend for an exclusive screening of the season 6 premiere, followed by an exciting panel with cast members and showrunners. Here it was announced that the highly-anticipated sixth season of Marvel’s longest running television show will be returning to ABC Friday, May 10th. The panel was moderated by Head of Marvel Television himself, Jeph Loeb, who paid tribute to the late Generalisimo Stan Lee, before kicking off an audience Q&A.
So, what did we learn? Well, good news is that Fitz actor Iain de Caestecker finally adopted a monkey, much like how his onscreen counterpart deeply desired one in earlier seasons. Funny frolics aside Phil Coulson’s actor and frontman Clark Gregg gave thanks to fans for the existence and success of the show. Stating that it all began with the #CoulsonLives movement after his character’s death in the Avengers. Gregg expressed his eternal gratitude for seven years of a “wild ride”.
The writers also talked about some of their most memorable moments of the show so far, including the show’s 100th episode, that was celebrated during season 5. Lead showrunner Jed Whedon said in regards to the episode, “[it] was a bit of a challenge. We talked about what we wanted to reflect but also what the fans wanted”. The cast also shared which guest stars they missed working with the most, including Jason O’Mara (Director Mace), Ruth Negga (Raina) and Mallory Jansen (AIDA).
Most surprisingly, Loeb stated “We’re not ending.” in response to concerns that the show would be concluding with next year’s confirmed seventh season. Clark Gregg suggested in a recent interview that filming was underway for season 7 and that it would be the last. However, no official word on that season being the show’s finale was confirmed by either ABC or Marvel. So, perhaps Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. could be sticking around for a little longer?
Aforementioned, lucky fans also got to watch the first episode of the new season in full before questioning. So, what tidbits of information can be shared?
Warning! Below are some SPOILERS for the season 6 premiere episode!
- The show picks up a year after the events of the season 5 finale. Daisy and Simmons are on the Zephyr in deep space still searching for a cryo-frozen Fitz.
- Unfortunately but not surprisingly the team are none the wiser about Fitz’s whereabouts through the episode, leading Jemma to make an impulsive and dangerous decision. Actress Elizabeth Henstridge later talked in interviews about Jemma’s desperation to find her husband, and how she will not let in doubts or the possibility he cannot be found.
- May, Elena and Mack remain on Earth, attempting to rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D. as an organisation, which includes plans to reopen the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy and find new recruits.
- Deke is unfortunately absent for the entirety of this episode, although he is sure to have a bigger role in this season than last after actor Jeff Ward was upgraded to season regular.
- The episode introduces us to new friends and foes, as well as familiar faces. Not only is hilariously dry alien-cyborg Enoch featured watching over Fitz, but also Coulson himself returns! Appearing in an exclusive extended clip shared on Marvel’s social media pages, its evident to audiences this is not our formerly-deceased Director.
— Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (@AgentsofSHIELD) March 30, 2019
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.EL.D. returns to ABC, Friday May 10th.
Latest posts by Maisie Williams (see all)
- Chloe Bennet Reveals New Details About AGENTS OF SHIELD’S Final Season - October 14, 2019
- What to Expect of GAME OF THRONES’ Potential Prequels - October 1, 2019
- No GAME OF THRONES Actress Has Ever Won an Emmy and That’s Unjust - September 24, 2019