The cast of The Walking Dead describes season ten as transforming, incredible, exciting, claustrophobic and no-more-mister-nice-guy. TWD showrunner Angela Kang appeared with stars Khary Peyton and Josh McDermitt on The Walking Dead season ten preview special to talk about what’s to come.
Season nine ended in a horrific way as the Whisperers asserted their authority by killing ten members of Alexandria, Hilltop and the Kingdom and putting their reanimated heads on spikes lining their boundary. The Kingdom fell as did Ezekiel (Petyon) and Carol’s (Melissa McBride) marriage. And an unfamiliar voice called out to the Hilltop in the closing minutes. Who was that on the other end of the radio? We’ll have to wait to find out.
Kang, McDermitt and Peyton didn’t cover the mystery woman, but they did cover what to expect for some of the key characters. It wouldn’t bet TWD without a time jump. This time it’s only a few months. Here are some of the highlights covered in the preview special.
Babies, Whisperers, and Caryl, Oh My!
- Rosita (Christian Serratos) gives birth to a baby girl named Coco. Serratos actually got to name the baby. There is still a quadrangle love story between Rosita, Gabriel (Seth Gilliam), Siddiq (Avi Nash), and Eugene (McDermitt).
- Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) gets a little more freedom this season. He gets to mingle among the Alexandria residents, but he has a curfew. He hasn’t completely changed. Morgan says to expect some surprises from Negan. Kang goes on to say that Negan hasn’t lost his edge. He’s not the same person, but there is still an element of danger about him.
- TWD heard you CARYL fans because there will be a lot of Carol and Daryl (Norman Reedus) moments. I don’t think it will be romantic seeing has how Daryl solidified the friend zone in the season ten trailer. Daryl is taking more of a leadership role this season. Reedus says he’s very hands on. I guess that means he’s not living in the woods anymore?
- As for Carol, as expected, she has vengeance on her mind. Considering she is the most stealth and resourceful character, you can bet she planning something big. Kang did confirm there will be a Carol/Alpha (Samantha Morton) epic showdown!
- As for Ezekiel, he’s dealing with a lot of loss. The loss of Henry and Benjamin, his adopted sons, the Kingdom, and Carol. Peyton says there’s still darkness within Ezekiel, but he has pushed it down. Does Ezekiel have a breaking point?
- Season nine was a tough one for Lydia. Cassady McClincy says season ten will be tougher. She is learning to fight with a stick though. And fans can expect more father-daughter time with Daryl.
- Morton is very excited for the fans to see Alpha’s humanity. We will get to see more of her back story and how she became the leader of the Whisperers. Kang adds that Alpha is a complex villain. The viewers will see what kind of leader she is and how she exerts her power over the group.
- We will also get to see more of Beta’s (Ryan Hurst) backstory and why he chooses to never remove his walker mask.
- Danai Gurira says Michonne is dealing with a massive threat so she’s taking on a more comprehensive responsibility. There is a mother/daughter theme this season for Michonne and Judith (Cailey Fleming). Fans can expect to see more fighting from Fleming as well. Kang states that writing Michonne’s final season was the hardest story line to write.
Back to Oceanside
The show ended with a sneak peek at the new season. The group is returning to Oceanside, as seen in the trailer. In the scene, Daryl and Carol walk along the Oceanside beach. Carol describes a fishing trip that she took saying it was hard work, but she enjoyed it. Daryl asks about what she saw and the only thing she mentions is the place where Oceanside gets their letters from Maggie (Lauren Cohan). They haven’t heard from Maggie for a while. Daryl thinks Carol was looking for Alpha, but she says she wasn’t. She says she’s is trying to forget everything that happened and would be happy to never hear from the Whisperers again.
And fans of Oceanside’s Cyndie will rejoice at the return of Sydney Park in the role. Park was featured only in the first five episodes of season nine. Oceanside was a part of the compact that was signed, but it was an older Rachel (Avianna Mynhier) who signed.
There is a bit of casting news. We heard at San Diego Comic Con that Thora Birch is joining as Whisperer Gamma and Kevin Carrol joins as Virgil. We heard that comic book character Dante will make his debut in season ten and know we know that Juan Javier Cardenas will play him, as reported by Skybound. In the comics, Dante is a member of the Hilltop and Maggie’s love interest. In the show, he’s not in a relationship with Maggie and becomes a resident of Alexandria.
The wait is almost over. The Walking Dead season 10 premieres Sunday, October 6 on AMC.
Latest posts by Noetta Harjo (see all)
- D23 2019: Ryan Coogler Announces BLACK PANTHER II Official Release Date - August 24, 2019
- D23 2019: Marvel’s ETERNALS Casts Gemma Chan and Kit Harington - August 24, 2019
- D23 2019: First LADY AND THE TRAMP Trailer Will Give You All the Feels - August 23, 2019