It’s that time again, and The CW is taking no prisoners. On Thursday, we learned from Deadline that the network culled a surprisingly significant amount of its programming for the upcoming TV season ahead of its return to in-person upfronts.
Could this have something to do with The CW’s fate as a network? In January, reputable outlets like Variety reported that Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount are putting The CW up for sale, and Nexstar was in talks to acquire it.
Regardless, the network bloodbath was somewhat unexpected given what’s left on The CW’s roster. So, if you’re floundering in the wake of endless news articles announcing cancellations galore, we’ve got the ultimate list of what The CW’s keeping and discarding.
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first. Rip off that Band-Aid! Here’s what’s (unfortunately) canceled:
- 4400 (Season 1 finale aired February 14, 2022)
- Charmed (Season 4 currently on the air)
- Dynasty (Season 5 currently on the air)
- Naomi (Season 1 finale aired May 10, 2022)
- Roswell, New Mexico (Season 4 premieres June 6, 2022)
- In the Dark (Season 4 premieres June 6, 2022)
- Batwoman (Season 3 finale aired March 2, 2022)
- Legends of Tomorrow (Season 7 finale aired March 2, 2022)
- Legacies (Season 4 currently on the air)
- All American (Renewed for Season 5)
- All American: Homecoming (Renewed for Season 2)
- The Flash (Renewed for Season 9)
- Kung Fu (Renewed for Season 3)
- Nancy Drew (Renewed for Season 4)
- Riverdale (Renewed for Season 7)
- Superman & Lois (Renewed for Season 3)
- Walker (Renewed for Season 3)
- Stargirl (Season 3 premiere date TBA)
The CW also has freshman series Tom Swift, the Nancy Drew spinoff, slated for premiere on May 31, 2022.
But it’s not all axing for the network today. TVLine reports The CW made a handful of series orders, including the Supernatural prequel The Winchesters, the Walker prequel Walker: Independence and Gotham Knights.
I sincerely believe Naomi deserves another chance. Put it on HBO Max with an expanded budget and a tighter script, and I think it’ll soar.
The CW Upfronts will occur in New York on May 19, 2022. Do you think there will be more surprises in store for us? What cancellations or renewals disappointed you? Sound off in the comments below!
- GENTLEMAN JACK Recap: (S02E04) I’m Not the Other Woman, She Is - May 16, 2022
- Yasmin Finney Will Get Timey-Wimey for DOCTOR WHO - May 16, 2022
- Prime Video Unleashes Diabolical Season 3 Trailer and Photos for THE BOYS - May 16, 2022