Star Wars Celebration truly kicked off in fashionable style with the Star Wars: Episode IX morning panel. A whole slew of cast members came out to vaguely talk about one of the most anticipated movies of the year. There were so many laughs and a whole lot of cheering. Here are some of the highlights from the panel.
- Stephen Colbert hosted the panel and we learned he got to visit the Episode IX set. That lucky ducky.
- We were reminded by JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy that Episode IX will be the final film in the Skywalker saga (and given the name, we have a lot of questions about that).
- The film will be a “group adventure” with Rey, Finn, and Poe with Chewie, R2D2 and C3PO.
- Anthony Daniels came out with R2D2 as the first cast member. Daniels thinks 3PO is the “voice of reason” and he hilariously said that “the droid fights back” this film. Though he immediately recanted it.
- Billy Dee Williams said that “Lando never left [him]” – he’s always the king of smooth. He was also shown in an official still wearing the same outfit that Donald Glover wore in Solo: A Star Wars Story. How cool, baby! Billy is also “sick and tired” of being told he betrayed Han Solo, reminding everyone “Did anybody die?”
- The next gen cast came out including Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo and Naomi Ackie with the precious droid BB-8
- Naomi Ackie got her casting news at seven in the morning and almost let her best friend know with how loud she was talking on the phone!
- Ackie is playing Jannah and didn’t confirm or deny she was the daughter of Lando Calrissian.
- Colbert gave John Boyega the option of either tell us what happens to Finn or explain Brexit – a tough choice but chose Finn.
- Boyega told us that Finn is finally comfortable in his role in the Resistance, he knows who he is now. He also got a new costume and felt that Finn didn’t really have his own costume until JJ brought out his new outfit. When JJ brought out the blue pants, he knew Finn was finally complete.
- Also in regards to Phasma – “she dead”. NEVER SAY NEVER, JOHN!
- When asked about all of the love triangles in the films with Finn, he corrected Colbert and said it’s pretty much love pentagon and Finn is single and ready to mingle. He’s always super funny.
- Oscar was asked if Han or Poe is the better pilot. Isaac said Han is the best pilot of the Falcon but Poe can fly anything. Oscar also made a lot of jokes about Poe and Finn being together, much to fans delight.
- It was Daisy Ridley’s birthday yesterday so the audience sang “Happy Birthday” to her. She was very touched.
- Daisy said the lightsaber she got from Luke “lives”
- Are there going to be new Force powers? While it was a long winded answer, the short answer was “yes, there will be”. Get excited!
- Are there any more “half-naked Kylo scenes” in the film? No, fans, sorry. But Oscar joked that he’s fully naked instead.
- The audience chanted Kelly Marie Tran’s when she was introduced – the fan love is there!
- JJ took a moment and thanked Rian Johnson for casting Kelly Marie Tran, saying it was his greatest contribution.
- Joonas, the larger than life man, thanked the audience in Wookiee and also thanked Peter Mayhew for everything.
- They continually brought up the location of Jordan – so the desert will play a big part of the film. It’s unclear whether it’s a new planet or one we know but we’re excited to see more.
- BB-8 has a new droid friend named Dio (or D-O, we’re not sure yet).
- Then they debuted the trailer! You’ll have to see the video below to learn who re-introduced the trailer after the first showing. It’s pretty awesome!
Be sure to come back to Geek Girl Authority for more Star Wars news. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is directed by J.J. Abrams and written by Abrams and Chris Terrio. The film stars Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, Billie Lord, Naomi Ackie, Keri Russell, Dominic Monaghan, Richard E. Grant, Mark Hamill, Billy Dee Williams, and Anthony Daniels with the late Carrie Fisher. The saga ends December 20th, 2019.
Latest posts by Erin Lynch (see all)
- HBO’s WATCHMEN Featurette Gives Us More Story Details - September 9, 2019
- BIRDS OF PREY Teaser Gives Fans Some Kick-Butt Fun…In Theaters - September 6, 2019
- THE MANDALORIAN Will Touch on the Future Plus New Image - September 4, 2019