How do you compete with all the breaking news coming out of Marvel Studios during your San Diego Comic-Con panel? What We Do in the Shadows stood their ground by adding series creators Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi to the expected panelists and surprising the crowd with celebrity moderator Evan Rachel Wood, fresh from her own panel for Westworld.
In addition to the big names at the top of the table, writers Paul Simms and Stefani Robinson rounded out the panel with the primary cast: Matt Berry (Laszlo), Natasia Demetriou (Nadja), Kayvan Novak (Nandor), Harvey Guillén (Guillermo) and Mark Proksch (Colin Robinson). What did they have to say? BAT! (And some other things. Read on…)
What we learned:
- “The Trial” episode with all the vampire cameos was Tilda Swinton’s idea!
- Moderator Evan Rachel Wood is in that episode!
- Jemaine Clement has developed an encyclopedic knowledge of vampires.
- People yell “BAT!” at Matt Berry when he goes out in public.
- The audience overwhelmingly voted for Harvey Guillén’s character to follow in his Van Helsing family’s footsteps, versus becoming a vampire.
- The voice Kayvan Novak chose for Nandor is a mix between Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi ’s accents from the movie.
- Wesley Snipes was the only actor they had in mind for the Skype bit– they had no back-up plan.
- According to Taika, they had a wish list of people for the trial, but they didn’t know who they’d be able to get so they pre-shot a lot of that scene.
“It’s really good except I won’t be having children now.” – Natasia Demetriou (re. being suspended by wires during stunts)
“This cast can really drain the shit out of you.” – Mark Proksch
— Thi Ky (@tiki_88) July 21, 2019
— LaughingPlace.com (@laughing_place) July 21, 2019
What did they screen?
“The Trial” (S01E07), and you can watch it on Amazon Prime for $2.99 right now— just like being at Comic-Con!
The audience was also treated to shorts composed of deleted scenes, but they hadn’t been posted online by the time this article was published!