Lin-Manuel Miranda (Lee Scoresby) and Dafne Keen (Lyra) took to controversially redesigned Twitter hours before they joined co-stars James McAvoy (Lord Asriel) and Ruth Wilson (Mrs. Coulter), executive producers Jane Tranter and Jack Thorne, and moderator / Entertainment Weekly editor-in-chief JD Heyman for HBO and BBC One’s His Dark Materials panel in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con today.
— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) July 18, 2019
BBC One was tweeting early, too, sharing pics from the upcoming adaptation of Philip Pullman‘s award-winning trilogy of young/adult novels.
— BBC One (@BBCOne) July 18, 2019
— His Dark Materials (@darkmaterials) July 18, 2019
What we learned during the panel:
- Lin-Manuel Miranda was a HUGE draw in his SDCC debut. His fanbase showed up for the panel, so let’s hope they show up for the show.
- Jack Thorne tried to “get a PhD” in the material for the adaptation- the same approach he took with Cursed Child.
- Ruth Wilson finds her monkey daemon “particularly nasty,” while Dafne Keen calls her Pan the more sensible side of Lyra.
- Puppeteers helped actors visualize the daemons and how they’d move.
- Lin-Manuel was working on Mary Poppins Returns when approached about HDM. He said yes before getting any details about his part because he loves the books– he and his wife read them together when they were dating. (Aw!)
- Lin-Manuel joked that he’s getting typecast as an outcast guy who flies balloons between these two projects.
- There WILL be a second season!
- If Philip Pullman wrote “adult books that children should read,” Jane Tranter hopes this is an adult TV show equivalent.
- Jane and Jack wrote 46 drafts of episode one!
- The books came out before Dafne was born, if you want to (probably) feel old.
- Neither Ruth nor Dafne had read the books before getting their parts.
- James McAvoy was cast very last minute– just days before he began filming.
- Jack calls this an “anti-superhero” story, as Lord Asriel would be the superhero, but it’s Lyra who is good.
- James says his “badass” “solitary” snow leopard daemon, Stelmaria, is voiced by Helen McCrory.
“Imagine a world where your soul lives outside your body…” – JD Heyman
“I thought it was time for the books to be liberated in a space that would do them justice.” – Jane Tranter
“They called her a cesspit of moral filth and I thought, ‘Okay, I have to play her.’” – Ruth Wilson
— Annalise Ophelian @ SDCC (@Dr_Ophelian) July 19, 2019
Me: Damn, this show looks good.
— Joe Brueggemeyer (@JoesTakeOnStuff) July 19, 2019
— Libby Hill (@midwestspitfire) July 19, 2019
A lot of people have been wondering what would replace Game of Thrones for HBO now that it’s over. This. This right here. This is their new sweeping adult dark fantasy series. #HisDarkMaterials
— Alisha Grauso (@AlishaGrauso) July 19, 2019
— TheGeekiary🏳️🌈 (@TheGeekiary) July 19, 2019
— Becky @ SDCC (@BeckyEscalator) July 19, 2019
“One of the crew asked me if I was going to take a vacation after filming and I said ‘are you kidding? I get to play a cowboy that flies a balloon & hangs out with a polar bear, this is the vacation!” – Lin-Manuel Miranda #HisDarkMaterials #SDCC @Lin_Manuel pic.twitter.com/DjagvX4DPH
— NerdsandBeyond.com (@nerdsandbeyond) July 19, 2019
— Jodie with an IE (@crimsonrambler) July 19, 2019
— Nora Dominick @ SDCC (@noradominick) July 19, 2019
What everyone’s spirit animals would be:
James McAvoy: sea otter (or as he calls it a water dog)@Lin_Manuel: pizza rat #RuthWilson: cat @DafneKeen: tiny tropical monkey bouncing around all the time @jackthorne: woodpecker #JaneTranter: wolf #HisDarkMaterials #sdcc
— Verena Cote @SDCC (@verenaxcote) July 19, 2019
— His Dark Materials (@darkmaterials) July 19, 2019
The trailer you’ve been waiting for:
— HBO (@HBO) July 18, 2019
- WANDAVISION Finale Recap: (S01E09) The Series Finale - March 5, 2021
- WANDAVISION Recap: (S01E08) Previously On - February 28, 2021
- WANDAVISION Recap: (S01E07) Breaking the Fourth Wall - February 19, 2021