The image above is the exact face I was making after Mad Max: Fury Road took home six Oscars! It was a fabulous night for science fiction and women in science fiction and film making, and maybe my favorite Oscar in years, because of that.
If you missed the show here are a few standout moments:
1. Mad Max Sweeps! – Mad Max: Fury Road swept the Oscars with the most wins, receiving Academy Award’s for Jenny Beavan/Best Costume Design, Elka Wardega, Lesley Vanderwalt & Damien Martin/Best Makeup, David White/Best Sound Editing, Margaret Sixel/Film Editing, Lisa Thompson and Colin Gibson/Best Production Design, Greg Rudloff, Chris Jenkins, Ben Osmo/Best Sound Mixing. My personal opinion is that it was robbed The Best Picture win, but I’ve let that go!
2. Ex-Machina Wins An Oscar! – This little scifi movie that could, took home an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects and….I’ll say it, I feel like Alicia Vikander won her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this movie and her performance as Ava. That’s my story and I’m sticking too it!
3. Jacob Tremblay AKA The Cutest Star Wars Fan, Ever! – Young Mr. Tremblay first and foremost should have been nominated for Room. How someone that young has the instincts and the maturity to pull off a movie and role like that, that can’t be taught. He’s also the freakin’ cutest Star Wars fan and has been very open about his passion for the latest movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Here are a couple of adorable moments from Oscar Sunday:
4. The Hateful Eight Wins The Oscar For Best Score! – Legendary composer, Ennio Morricone, has finally won his first competitive Oscar after several nominations, an honorary Oscar and an impressive 60 year career that includes composing the scores for movies such as The Untouchables, Bugsy, and Cinema Paradiso, to name a few. The score for The Hateful Eight was intense, mysterious, and reminded me of soundtracks for Hitchcock’s movies. This was well deserved and a long time coming.
5. Tracy Morgan As The Danish Girl – Chris Rock, Whoopi Goldberg, Leslie Jordan and Tracy Morgan participated in a video segment highlighting the fact that black actors just need more opportunity. So they inserted themselves into some of the Oscar nominated movies, the funniest being Morgan as The Danish Girl.
For this, I wanted to focus on the fun and geeky moments that happened but of course highlights include Leo’s win for Best Actor and his fantastic speech, Best Director winner, Alejandro Inarritu’s speech which was extremely eloquent and inclusive. Lady Gaga’s performance and show of support for survivors of sexual abuse was incredibly powerful and brought the audience to tears, and then to see veteran actor, Mark Rylance, win Best Supporting Actor was a treat as well. I was pulling for Sly, but Rylance was equally as deserving of the award.
What did you think? What were your favorite moments? Do you even care? TWEET US!