At the end of Star Trek: Discovery’s second season, Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) and Discovery were hurled far into the future. At the Star Trek Universe panel at SDCC, we learned how far they went – 1000 years. It was said that the show “wasn’t erasing anything” as far as canon went. We also learned that Discovery did not land on Terralysium and the other side of the wormhole is not what we think. It’s “complicated.”
This past weekend at NYCC, we got a season three teaser for Star Trek: Discovery and it was very revealing and incredibly exciting.
Here are some highlights from the Star Trek: Discovery NYCC teaser:
- They have traveled 930 years into the future – further in the future than any Star Trek series, so this means new ground every episode. That’s cool.
- Burnham’s been waiting a long time and keeping logs. We know this because of her many hair style changes. I hate to point out something like a woman’s hairstyle first, it was used here to show passage of time and second, each one looks fierce. There, I said it.
- There are Andorians! They are using weapons we’ve never seen before. In fact, we see these weapons used my Burnham and other races throughout the teaser.
- One of the most ‘take your breath away’ parts of the teaser is when new character Book (David Ajala) says to Burnham, “You believe in ghosts.” To which she replies, “What does that mean?” and he says, “That badge on your shirt.” WHAT!?!? Starfleet is no more! It’s gone! The look on Burnham’s face is tragic as she puts together what he means.
- Burnham meets a nicely dressed man who has been waiting for someone to come back and fly the flag of The Federation. That someone is her. We see the Federation flag and there’s only six stars!
- We see the Trill! Does that mean that we’ll meet someone that was from another series? Say Dax? That would be cool, although doubtful.
- Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh) appears and she’s in Starfleet clothes. No one else besides Burnham is wearing what we recognize as Starfleet.
- We do see Burnham reunite with Discovery and share a hug with Tilly (Mary Wiseman) that pulled on my heart strings.
Looks like the future is indeed complicated. The crew of Discovery is going to have to learn new, highly advanced technology, fight a lot of villains and bring back The Federation. What an exciting teaser! Take a look at it below along with four first look pictures that were released as well.
No release date was given for season three of Star Trek: Discovery, only that it was coming in 2020.
- Blackout Tuesday - June 1, 2020
- STAR TREK: VOYAGER Cast Will Reunite for 25th Anniversary on ‘Stars in the House’ - May 22, 2020
- Charlize Theron Is a Kick-Ass Immortal Warrior in THE OLD GUARD’S First Trailer - May 21, 2020