If you’re a Hollywood studio executive wondering what the people want in their action and adventure films, and you haven’t taken a hint from the success of 2017’s Wonder Woman, maybe the study released by BBC America and the Women’s Media Center this week will turn your head. After surveying more than 2,000 people, the survey found that, “While the sentiment is strongest among Girls and Parents of Girls, every demographic group surveyed expressed a desire for MORE female heroes in the sci-fi/superhero genre.”
Surprised people like to see female heroes on screen? If so, you must be lost. This whole site is an exercise in fangirling!
Other notable findings:
- “female sci-fi/superheroes are more impactful sources of inspiration for girls than male heroes are for boys, empowering girls—and especially girls of color—to believe they can achieve anything they put their mind to”
- “female sci-fi and superhero characters help bridge the confidence gap for girls, making them feel strong, brave, confident, inspired, positive, and motivated”
- “Wonder Woman ranks as the #1 hero for both younger Girls 5-9 and older Girls 10-19, with Supergirl holding the #2 spot among younger girls”
- “Black Panther ranks as the second-favorite hero among African American Children and Teens, behind only Wonder Woman for Girls and Batman for Boys”
- “2 in 3 Girls agree there are not enough of the following in Film & TV: Female Role Models (63%), Strong Female Characters (65%) and Relatable Female Characters (65%)”
- “2 in 3 Boys say they enjoy watching female sci-fi/superheroes the same as male sci-fi/superheroes”
- “81% of girls agree that seeing a female Doctor on Doctor Who makes them feel like they can become anything they want.”
And there is SO much more. Click here to download the full report for yourself, and scroll on to see more of the key findings in a handy infographic produced by the Women’s Media Center.
Latest posts by Leona Laurie (see all)
- First Look Pics: STEVEN UNIVERSE THE MOVIE (Plus New Trailer) - August 26, 2019
- SDCC 2019: WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS Screening and Q&A – BAT! - July 20, 2019
- SDCC 2019: WESTWORLD III Panel With First Look at Season 3 Trailer! - July 20, 2019