I love fall!
Something about the holidays, the “change” of seasons (which we don’t really see that out here in Los Angeles), the pumpkin spice everything being shoved done our throats, is a reminder it is a time for celebration and the event’s that are happening right now, here in Los Angeles, are great options for the Halloween season.
- Guillermo del Toro At LACMA – This exhibition of one of my favorite filmmakers is going on until November 27th so get yourself to LACMA, asap. Taking inspiration from del Toro’s extraordinary imagination, the exhibition reveals his creative process through his collection of paintings, drawings, maquettes, artifacts, and concept film art. Rather than a traditional chronology or filmography, the exhibition is organized thematically, beginning with visions of death and the afterlife; continuing through explorations of magic, occultism, horror, and monsters; and concluding with representations of innocence and redemption.-LACMA
Tickets are $25 or free for members. Don’t miss this chance to catch a glimpse into what his personal residence, Bleak House, looks like. Full of his love for monsters and scary stories. del Toro hopes, that even after he passes, his collection will remain open for the public, for many years after.
2. LA Rail Vintage Rail Cars – Did you know that this was a thing? That you can ride on chartered, vintage rail cars, courtesy of LA Rail? I most certainly did not and this seems like such a delightful trip, not only to experience a little old timey train but to see the beauty that is all around us, here in socal.
Specifically, the trip the caught my eye was the VINO TRAIN! This quaint adventure takes you to Santa Barbara where you’ll tour tasting rooms. Then, when you make you way back, you’ll enjoy a buffet dinner! I mean….
3. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas At The Hollywood Bowl – This is a favorite event of mine! A must-see movie during the halloween season and to see it live is truly magical. The composer himself, Danny Elfman, is always present and wonderful performing as Jack Skellington. The concert is filled with special guests like Catherine O’Hara and Paul Ruebens and a majority of the audience is in costume! The dates are October 28th, 29th and 30th.
4. Oktoberfest At Alpine Village – Starting today! Get your Oktoberfest on in Torrance, CA at The Alpine Village where in their own words: Traditional Bavarian fun is supplied by Oom Pah Pah party bands, your belly is sated by traditional German fare, and your thirst is quenched by delicious German beers brewed by Warsteiner. We deliver an authentic-yet-modern Oktoberfest to you each and every year…and all within 10 miles of Southern California’s beautiful beaches. Join us for Oktoberfest 2016!
It’s a blast and not too far, although I urge you to attend with a DD or perhaps even spend the night! It runs until October 29th, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday!
5. Malibu Family Wines – Nestled in the beautiful hills of Malibu, Malibu Family Wines is one of the most peaceful and wonderful places to visit and a really fun thing they offer is outdoor movie screenings. For the month of October they will be screening, Hocus Pocus, The Exorcist, The Conjuring AND Poltergeist. I cannot imagine anything more fun then being terrified while sipping on some wine. In fact that’s the only way to do it.
In short, there are a plethora of events, I haven’t even scratched the surface! The same could be said for cities in every state, you just kind of have to dig.
Tweet us and tell us what fun events are going on locally!