Stardate 95580.67 through 95599.83
December 24, 2017 – December 30, 2017
Welcome to the twenty-fifth edition of GGA Ready Room! Let’s take a look at what Star Trek news we missed last week, shall we? As a reminder: the standard date for the post will be shown in the title but the week being recapped (December 24 through December 30 in this case) will be shown in the main header in Stardate format as calculated by Star Trek:Online – this calculator will be used since there is not a standard format across all the television shows and feature films and it is easily accessible.
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
- New posters for Star Trek: Discovery‘s second half of the first season have been released. See them HERE!
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 15, “Shore Leave”, December 29, 1966
- ST:TOS, Season 2, Episode 15, “The Trouble with Tribbles”, December 29, 1967
- ST:TNG, Season 4, Episode 10, “The Loss”, December 29, 1990
- ST:DS9, Season 5, Episode 10, “Rapture”, December 30, 1996
- ST:DS9, Season 7, Episode 10, “It’s Only a Paper Moon”, December 30, 1998
Celebrating The Holidays
How did your favorite Star Trek people celebrate the holidays? Here, we check in with Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi, ST:TNG), Wil Wheaton (Ensign Wesley Crusher, ST:TNG), William Shatner (Captain James T. Kirk, ST:TOS), LeVar Burton (Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge, ST:TNG), and Brent Spiner (Commander Data, ST:TNG).
I get to spend this Christmas Eve and Day with my wife, our kids, and two of our closest and most-beloved friends. I am so grateful for this, especially in the midst of this dark and terrible year. If you do Christmas stuff, too, I hope that you're also surrounded by love.
— Wil 'Kick the Nazis off the tweeters' Wheaton (@wilw) December 24, 2017
Happy Kwanzaa, Y’all… light the black candle!
— LeVar Burton (@levarburton) December 26, 2017
Peace and blessings be upon us all! In gratitude for that which has come our way and courage for the road ahead. To be on this journey with you is the purpose that animates my Soul… #HappyChristmas
— LeVar Burton (@levarburton) December 25, 2017
Merry Christmas to all. pic.twitter.com/lAnkEDXBtO
— Brent Spiner (@BrentSpiner) December 25, 2017
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- Seth MacFarlane, an arguable powerhouse in comedic animation, has a new television show on Fox: The Orville. His new show, in which MacFarlane stars as Captain Ed Mercer, is a very obvious homage to Star Trek, but it has come to light that this space adventure comedy isn’t the first time MacFarlane took to a captain’s chair in front of the camera. A fan film recently shared to YouTube shows a 14/15 year-old MacFarlane and his friends aboard a homemade bridge of the Enterprise, playing out a short skit. MacFarlane is Captain Kirk while his unnamed friends portray Spock and Uhura. Catch the two-and-a-half minute film below:
- Star Trek: Voyager‘s Doctor, Robert Picardo, is the face of The Planetary Society‘s podcast, The Planetary Post. As the end of 2017 arrives, a highlights and blooper reel for the Post has been released. Enjoy the look back in the video below:
Official Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
- January 05, 2018 – January 17, 2018 – Star Trek: The Cruise II in Miami, Florida. Two cruises, each 6 days long, are set to sail from Miami to the Caribbean with various Star Trek stars and themed events.
- January 12, 2018 – Star Trek Night at the Florida Panthers vs Calgary Flames game at the BB& T Center, Sunrise, Florida. Tickets to this hockey match up will include a “commemorative piece”. In addition, January 12, 2018, is also part of Panthers Palooza IV, which will include a tailgate pre-party complete with swag and BBQ.
Red shirts are not the only crew members lost in Star Trek. We pay our respects to the following men and women that served their time with Starfleet, the Federation, or touched some form of the Star Trek universe:
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine guest actor Jack Blessing passed away at the age of 66 on November 14, 2017. His death by pancreatic cancer was reported by Deadline.com on December 26. Blessing portrayed Dulmur, an agent from Temporal Investigations, in the Season 5, Episode 6, “Trials and Tribble-ations”. In addition to Star Trek, Blessing has had parts in a variety of roles, from M*A*S*H to The X-Files to a voice in ParaNorman.
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
- Watch BLUE ORIGIN’S NEW SHEPARD Take Flight - July 20, 2021
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN IN ENGINEERING DAY: Featuring Our Favorite Fictional Female Engineers - June 23, 2021
- Geek Girl Authority Crush of the Week: SOPHIA ASA SOLOMON - June 2, 2021