Stardate 95465.76 through 95484.91
November 12, 2017 – November 18, 2017
Welcome to the twentieth edition of GGA Ready Room! Let’s take a look at what Star Trek news we missed last week, shall we? As a reminder: the standard date for the post will be shown in the title but the week being recapped (November 12 through November 18 in this case) will be shown in the main header in Stardate format as calculated by Star Trek:Online – this calculator will be used since there is not a standard format across all the television shows and feature films and it is easily accessible.
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
- MIT grad, Robert Burke designed a Microsoft HoloLens version of ST:TNG‘s The Game. Read about it here!
- BBC America will run a Thanksgiving Day (and weekend!) Star Trek marathon! Here are the details!
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:Voyager, Season 4, Episode 9, “Year of Hell: Part 2”, November 12, 1997
- ST:Enterprise, Season 3, Episode 9, “North Star”, November 12, 2003
- ST:Enterprise, Season 4, Episode 6, “The Augments”, November 12, 2004
- ST:Discovery, Season 1, Episode 9, “Into the Forest I Go”, November 12, 2017
- ST:TNG, Season 7, Episode 9, “Force of Nature”, November 13, 1993
- ST:DS9, Season 4, Episode 7, “Little Green Men”, November 13, 1995
- ST:Voyager, Season 2, Episode 10, “Cold Fire”, November 13, 1995
- ST:Voyager, Season 3, Episode 9, “Future’s End: Part 2”, November 13, 1996
- ST:Enterprise, Season 2, Episode 8, “The Communicator”, November 13, 2002
- ST:TNG, Season 1, Episode 8, “The Battle”, November 14, 1987
- ST:TNG, Season 6, Episode 9, “The Quality of Life”, November 14, 1992
- ST:DS9, Season 2, Episode 8, “Necessary Evil”, November 14, 1993
- ST:DS9, Season 3, Episode 8, “Meridian”, November 14, 1994
- ST:Enterprise, Season 1, Episode 9, “Civilization”, November 14, 2001
- ST:TOS, Season 3, Episode 9, “The Tholian Web”, November 15, 1968
- ST:Voyager, Season 7, Episode 7, “Body and Soul”, November 15, 2000
- ST:TNG, Season 5, Episode 9, “A Matter of Time”, November 16, 1991
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 11, “The Menagerie: Part I”, November 17, 1966
- ST:TOS, Season 2, Episode 10, “Journey to Babel”, November 17, 1967
- ST:Animated, Season 1, Episode 11, “The Terratin Incident”, November 11, 1973
- ST:TNG, Season 4, Episode 9, “Final Mission”, November 17, 1990
- ST:DS9, Season 6, Episode 8, “Resurrection”, November 17, 1997
- ST:Voyager, Season 6, Episode 8, “One Small Step”, November 17, 1999
- ST:TNG, Season 3, Episode 9, “The Vengeance Factor”, November 18, 1989
- Star Trek: Generations, November 18, 1994
- ST:DS9, Season 5, Episode 8, “Things Past”, November 18, 1996
- ST:DS9, Season 7, Episode 8, “The Siege of AR-558”, November 18, 1998
- ST:Voyager, Season 5, Episode 6, “Timeless”, November 18, 1998
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- The fact that Star Trek actors regularly interact with fans on Twitter is simply amazing. Fan and artist @SerinaTirek (previously featured in GGARR) sent a general plea to the Twitter-verse asking for information on a song called “Moment to Fly”, which Anthony Rapp (Lieutenant Paul Stamets, Star Trek: Discovery) sang in concert at the Emelin Theatre in 2014. Rapp responded that it was a song for a play and was co-written with Daniel A. Weiss. Find Rapps’ tweet and a video of the song in concert below:
My friend and musical director Daniel A. Weiss and I wrote that song. It appeared in a play we worked on together called Daedalus Lounge.
— Anthony Rapp (@albinokid) November 12, 2017
- Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, ST:TNG) and his wife spent some time on Sesame Street hanging out with all their favorite muppets! Anne Wheaton shared their adventure on Instagram:
- LeVar Burton (Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge, ST:TNG) sat down with The AV Club and spoke about starting his podcast, LeVar Burton Reads.
— The A.V. Club (@TheAVClub) November 17, 2017
- John de Lancie, the infamous Q on ST:TNG, is performing in Vicuña & The American Epilogue, a politically charged play, in Washington DC at the Mosaic Theater through December 3rd. Star Trek fans have been provided the code TREK to get tickets at only $17.01 (a nice and perfect number for fans of the NC-1701 ships!).
I'm doing a play in Wash D.C. that has been tremendously review. A scathing inditement of Trump and demagoguery. We run till Dec. 3d. I've arrange for 1/2 off tickets with Code Word: TREK. Please come. https://t.co/x82IryKl5w
— John de Lancie (@johndelancie) November 17, 2017
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- After Trek, the talk show that streams live on CBS All Access after Star Trek: Discovery, bid adieu to fans after the mid-season finale of ST:Discovery with a tribble-infested cast and guest photo. Included in the photo are Matt Mira (host), Sonequa Martin-Green (Michael Burnham, ST:Discovery), and Mary Wiseman (Cadet Tilly, ST:Discovery).
— Matt Mira (@MattMira) November 13, 2017
- Ted Sullivan (producer, writer, ST:Discovery) is always a good source for behind the scenes photos. This time, he shared an on-location picture of Doug Jones (Commander Saru) resting between takes (with Sonequa Martin-Green in the background) of Episode 8, “Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum”.
— Ted Sullivan (@karterhol) November 14, 2017
- Starlog Magazine ran from 1976 to 2009 and was initially focused on Star Trek media and news. The back issues can be found online and gems, like this Star Trek: The Motion Picture pre-production art by Ralph McQuarrie, can be re-discovered. Isn’t the internet a great place?
Pre-production art for Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Ralph McQuarrie (1977). From Starlog magazine pic.twitter.com/ZsVRvg5Jbk
— Retro SciFi Art (@retroscifiart) November 14, 2017
- Previously, GGARR reported on the forthcoming second novel set in the Star Trek: Discovery universe, Drastic Measures. Now there is a cover for Dayton Ward‘s next novel! The book will be released as a paperback, eBook, and audio-book on February 06, 2018, from Simon & Schuster / Pocket Books for $16USD and can be pre-ordered at most major retailers.
- Star Trek: Online Season 14 kicked off back in October, but it was recently announced that, in celebration, players can now port their gaming from computer to console! The game is now available for FREE on XBox One and PlayStation 4.
Convention Circuit: News and More
I’m breaking this out of the above segment, What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?, because there have been so many conventions pop up that I am worried about things getting too crowded.
[PAST] Rhode Island Comic Con (November 10 – 12)
- For the 30th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Rhode Island Comic Con hosted a reunion panel of Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi), Brent Spiner (Lieutenant Commander Data), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Commander Warf), and Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher). Star Trek: The Original Series‘ lead, William Shatner (Captain James T. Kirk), was on hand to moderate.
Official Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- May 02, 2017 – December 16, 2017 – Star Trek Original Series Set Tour in Ticonderoga, New York. Relive the days of 1960’s Captain Kirk with the set of the show that started it all.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
- January 05, 2018 – January 17, 2018 – Star Trek: The Cruise II in Miami, Florida. Two cruises, each 6 days long, are set to sail from Miami to the Caribbean with various Star Trek stars and themed events.
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.