Stardate 95235.83 through 95254.98
August 20, 2017 – August 26, 2017
Welcome to the eighth edition of GGA Ready Room! Let’s take a look at what Star Trek news we missed last week, shall we? As a reminder: the standard date for the post will be shown in the title but the week being recapped (August 20 through August 26 in this case) will be shown in the main header in Stardate format as calculated by ST:Online – this calculator will be used since there is not a standard format across all the television shows and feature films and it is easily accessible.
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
- The 35th anniversary of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is coming to theaters! More information HERE!
- Get a good look at the new Starfleet uniform in THIS Star Trek: Discovery teaser! Video found HERE!
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- Ok, so this update is more for writers of Star Trek than the actors…. JD Payne and Patrick McKay, writers of the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, have signed on to adapt the novel A People’s History of the Vampire Uprising by Raymond Villareal for an upcoming movie for 20th Century Fox and 21 Laps, according to The Tracking Board. The book is due out next year from Little Brown’s Mulholland Books and is set to be a history from many viewpoints of how the Gloamings, a vampire race, coexisted with humans and rose to prominence. Critics are comparing the book (and subsequent film) to World War Z by Max Brooks. As the book and the film get closer, expect a deeper look from GGA!
- If you like horror movies, then Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker, ST:TNG) has something for you to see! Back in April, Devil’s Gate premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival without much coverage (at least that I saw). In the film, Frakes plays Sheriff Gruenwell in Devil’s Gate, North Dakota, who must partner with his deputy (Shawn Ashmore, X-Men) and an FBI agent (Amanda Schull, 12 Monkeys) to search for a missing woman. This horror film has a sci-fi twist, which neither Ashmore nor Schull admit to seeing coming in an interview with The Huffington Post. Frakes simply shared the poster (below) without comment, which has no release date at this time. A clip, courtesy of Deadline, is also included, featuring Ashmore and Schull as they arrive at the missing woman’s house to speak with her husband, played by Milo Ventimiglia (Gilmore Girls, Heroes). The trailer can be found HERE, but be warned: the trailer really pushes the horror genre!
— Jonathan Frakes (@jonathansfrakes) August 23, 2017
- This coming weekend, Robert Picardo (The Doctor, ST:Voyager) will be attending the Guildford Comic-Con after recently closing out his work with Sylvester McCoy and Richard Oliver in the three man stage play, A Joke.
Saturday, September 2, in Guildford, just outside London. Hope to see you! pic.twitter.com/LpPQUeKise
— Robert Picardo (@RobertPicardo) August 22, 2017
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- What do you get when you mix IT support with Star Trek? You get the Bitter IT Guy‘s latest episode: IT Guy’s Log. Watch below, enjoy a little laugh, maybe a facepalm or two, and a few callbacks to some ST:TNG episodes!
- Do you play the Star Trek: Attack Wing card game? New expansions are arriving soon – Wave 1’s Prototype 02 is the next new pack from WizKids.com to be previewed at Startrek.com. The new expansion will feature the Romulan Drone ship, Prototype 02, with Jhamel, a drone pilot (though Gareb from Prototype 01 can be used as well). The card allows customization of the drone with three slots for tech upgrades and one slot for a weapons upgrade. The expansion pack includes three protocols, two weapons upgrades, and a propulsion matrix (tech upgrade) for a quick escape. In addition, there will be captains tokens and ship tokens. This expansion pack is printed with the new and upgraded visual iconography for easier and faster game play. There is no release date associated with this expansion, but it is available for preorder (MSRP $10 USD) from your local game shop.
- In addition to the recent teaser for “tolerance, freedom, and justice” and the Klingon’s call to battle to remain Klingon, more short teasers have been released to twitter for the upcoming ST:Discovery series. The teasers are each thirty seconds long and feature a closer look at the items and the ship as well as a more traditional trailer-style video featuring a short speech from Sarek (James Frain). ST:Discovery premieres September 24th on CBS All Access, but the teasers can be found below right now:
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 21, 2017
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 22, 2017
- Are you a fan of Black Mirror? The show recently released their next season teaser, complete with episode titles. GGA writer Erin Lynch did a breakdown of the video HERE, but catch the video below and see the preview tease for USS Callister and its interestingly Star Trek inspired episode…
Official Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – December 31, 2017 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- July 08, 2016 – November 05, 2017 – Star Trek: The Exhibition – Blackpool in Blackpool, United Kingdom. Tour Star Trek’s fifty years of history! Andrew Edwards, stage designer, designed the exhibition with originals from the shows and movies for your viewing pleasure.
- September 01, 2017 – Star Trek: The Next Generation’s 30th Anniversary Night in San Francisco, California. The Giants host the St Louis Cardinals while celebrating the 30th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation! Fans with a promotional ticket get a special edition commemorative Starfleet themed SF Giants T-shirt!
- September 08 & 10, 2017 – Star Trek: Into Darkness In Concert in Kansas City, Kansas. The Kansas City Symphony Orchestra will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at the Kauffman Center!
- September 13, 2017 – Star Trek: Beyond In Concert in Seattle, Washington. The Seattle Symphony Orchestra will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at Benaroya Hall!
- September 14 & 15, 2017 – Star Trek (2009) In Concert in Milan, Italy. The Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choir of Milan Giuseppe Verdi will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at LaVerdi!
- September 26, 2017 – Star Trek: The Next Generation’s 30th Anniversary Night in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Phillies host the Washington Nationals while celebrating the 30th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation! The first 3,000 fans with a promotional ticket get a Captain Jean-Luc Picard bobblehead!
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
Latest posts by Talyna (see all)
- Accessibility in Gaming: Print Your Own Braille Polyhedral Dice - October 16, 2019
- Geek Girl Authority Crush of the Week: DR. ELMA YORK - October 2, 2019
- NETFLIX: What Is Arriving and Leaving JUNE 2019 - June 7, 2019