Stardate 95216.67 through 95235.82
August 13, 2017 – August 19, 2017
Welcome to the seventh edition of GGA Ready Room! Let’s take a look at what Star Trek news we missed last week, shall we? As a reminder: the standard date for the post will be shown in the title but the week being recapped (August 06 through August 12 in this case) will be shown in the main header in Stardate format as calculated by ST:Online – this calculator will be used since there is not a standard format across all the television shows and feature films and it is easily accessible.
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
- The 35th anniversary of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is coming to theaters! More information HERE!
- A new teaser for Star Trek: Discovery has been released! Watch it HERE!
In the News: What did we miss?
Were there any juicy tidbits that GGA did not feature this week? Find it here!
- Due to the size and depth of Star Trek, keeping up with cast and crew birthdays would be a never ending job and this weekly digest would get crowded quickly. As a rule, therefore, I will not be featuring birthdays. HOWEVER! There is one that needs to be recognized: Mr. Gene Roddenberry. This past weekend would have been the creator’s 96th birthday (he passed away back in 1991). To the man that didn’t give up when he was turned away, who persevered, and ultimately changed the course of television: thank you and happy birthday.
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine actress Terry Farrell (Lieutenant Commander Jadzia Dax) and Adam Nimoy (son of the late Leonard Nimoy) announced their engagement! Well, technically Scott Mantz (film critic, Trek lover, friend of Adam Nimoy) broke the news on twitter and Farrell confirmed the happy news later!
- Stitcher, the home base for LeVar Burton‘s podcast, LeVar Burton Reads, has pitched a panel with Burton for SXSW but it must be voted in by fans. If you are attending the festival/convention/whatever SXSW has become, and would like to have Stitcher and Burton with you, feel free to vote.
— Stitcher (@Stitcher) August 18, 2017
- Fansets.com created pins for Star Trek‘s 50th celebration and they donated several to Rene Auberjonois (Odo, ST:DS9) to sign and sell for charity. Each autographed pin costs $25 and proceeds benefit Doctors without Borders
— Rene Auberjonois (@reneauberjonois) August 20, 2017
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- Do you play the Star Trek: Attack Wing card game? New expansions are arriving soon! Last week, the U.S.S. Grissom was previewed. This week, the Klingons are getting a little attention. Startrek.com previewed the new WizKids expansion that will feature the Raptor Class battle cruiser, the I.K.S. Ves Batlh. It will include the ship, ship modifiers, one weapon, two optional captains (Duras, Son of Toral, and Klaang), and two crew cards (Gortoh and Kolos). In addition, there will be captains tokens and ship tokens. This expansion pack is printed with the new and upgraded visual iconography for easier and faster game play. There is no release date associated with this expansion, but it is available for preorder (MSRP $10 USD) from your local game shop.
- Who doesn’t love a little behind the scenes throwback action? Ted Sullivan, co-executive producer for Star Trek: Discovery, shared a make-up chair shot of Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker), Denise Crosby (Lieutenant Tasha Yar), and Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi) from their Star Trek: The Next Generation days! Just look at how young everyone looks, especially Frakes without his beard!
— Ted Sullivan (@karterhol) August 19, 2017
- More character teasers have been released for the upcoming ST:Discovery series. The teasers are each ten seconds long and feature Sarek (James Frain), Starfleet Academy Cadet Sylvia Tilly (Mary Wiseman), Lieutenant Ash Tyler (Shazad Latif), T’Kuvma (Chris Obi), and Voq (currently not credited). ST:Discovery premieres September 24th on CBS All Access, but the teasers can be found below right now:
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 14, 2017
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 15, 2017
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 16, 2017
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 17, 2017
— Star Trek: Discovery (@startrekcbs) August 18, 2017
Official Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – December 31, 2017 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- July 08, 2016 – November 05, 2017 – Star Trek: The Exhibition – Blackpool in Blackpool, United Kingdom. Tour Star Trek’s fifty years of history! Andrew Edwards, stage designer, designed the exhibition with originals from the shows and movies for your viewing pleasure.
- September 08 & 10, 2017 – Star Trek: Into Darkness In Concert in Kansas City, Kansas. The Kansas City Symphony Orchestra will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at the Kauffman Center!
- September 13, 2017 – Star Trek: Beyond In Concert in Seattle, Washington. The Seattle Symphony Orchestra will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at Benaroya Hall!
- September 14 & 15, 2017 – Star Trek (2009) In Concert in Milan, Italy. The Symphonic Orchestra and Symphonic Choir of Milan Giuseppe Verdi will perform the live score while the movie plays on the screen at LaVerdi!
- September 26, 2017 – Star Trek: The Next Generation’s 30th Anniversary Night in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Phillies host the Washington Nationals while celebrating the 30th anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation! The first 3,000 fans with a promotional ticket get a Captain Jean-Luc Picard bobblehead!
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
- Mental Health Month: GGA’s 5 Favorite Fictional Therapists - May 30, 2020
- Geek Girl Authority Crush of the Week: DEANNA TROI - May 27, 2020
- 10 Geeky Backgrounds for Virtual Meetings - May 26, 2020