Stardate 95714.74 through 95733.89
February 11, 2018 – February 17, 2018
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
In the News: What did we miss?
Were there any juicy tidbits that GGA did not feature this week? Find it here!
- A scientist has used an episode of Star Trek: Voyager to uncover failure-to-review and pay-to-publish in multiple respected scientific journals. The episode? Season 2, Episode 15, “Threshold”, in which Lieutenant Tom Paris (Robert Duncan McNeill) breaks Warp 10 (the transwarp barrier) and suffers a severe genetic mutation. Yes, a paper based on the “effects of celerity of humans” made it into actual scientific journals. For a more in depth story on the expose work of BioTrekkie, click over to space.com.
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:TNG, Season 2, Episode 9, “The Measure of a Man”, February 11, 1989
- ST:DS9, Season 6, Episode 13, “Far Beyond the Stars”, February 11, 1998
- ST:Voyager, Season 4, Episode 15, “Hunters”, February 11, 1998
- ST:Enterprise, Season 3, Episode 15, “Harbinger”, February 11, 2004
- ST:Enterprise, Season 4, Episode 14, “The Aenar”, February 11, 2005
- ST:Discovery, Season 1, Episode 15, “Will You Take My Hand?”, February 11, 2018
- ST:TNG, Season 7, Episode 16, “Thine Own Self”, February 12, 1994
- ST:DS9, Season 4, Episode 14, “Sons of Mogh”, February 12, 1996
- ST:Voyager, Season 2, Episode 17, “Dreadnought”, February 12, 1996
- ST:Voyager, Season 3, Episode 17, “Unity”, February 12, 1997
- ST:Enterprise, Season 2, Episode 15, “Cease Fire”, February 12, 2003
- ST:TNG, Season 1, Episode 16, “When the Bough Breaks”, February 13, 1988
- ST:TNG, Season 6, Episode 15, “Tapestry”, February 13, 1993
- ST:DS9, Season 2, Epiosde 15, “Paradise”, February 13, 1994
- ST:DS9, Season 3, Episode 15, “Destiny”, February 13, 1995
- ST:Voyager, Season 1, Episode 5, “The Cloud”, February 13, 1995
- ST:Enterprise, Season 1, Episode 16, “Shuttlepod One”, February 13, 2002
- ST:TOS, Season 3, Episode 19, “Requiem for Methuselah”, February 14, 1969
- ST:DS9, Season 1, Episode 7, “Dax”, February 14, 1993
- ST:Voyager, Season 7, Episode 15, “The Void”, February 14, 2001
- ST:TNG, Season 5, Episode 14, “Conundrum”, February 15, 1992
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 22, “Space Seed”, February 16, 1967
- ST:TOS, Season 2, Episode 21, “Patterns of Force”, February 16, 1968
- ST:TNG, Season 4, Episode 15, “First Contact”, February 16, 1991
- ST:Voyager, Season 6, Episode 16, “Collective”, February 16, 2000
- ST:TNG, Season 3, Episode 15, “Yesterday’s Enterprise”, February 17, 1990
- ST:DS9, Season 5, Episode 15, “By Inferno’s Light”, February 17, 1997
- ST:DS9, Season 7, Episode 14, “Chimera”, February 17, 1999
- ST:Voyager, Season 5, Episode 15, “Dark Frontier, Part I”, February 17, 1999
- ST:Voyager, Season 5, Episode 15, “Dark Frontier, Part II”, February 17, 1999
A Little Love for Valentine’s Day
Whether you celebrate the day of love or toss it aside as a commercially made up holiday to sell cards and candy, the folks of Star Trek took a moment to share their amorous day with fans. From couples on the show shared by Kenneth Mitchell (Kol, ST:Discovery), to a set photo shared by Rekha Sharma (Commander Landry, ST:Discovery), and memories from the official Star Trek twitter accounts, see the love of Star Trek below:
— Star Trek (@StarTrek) February 14, 2018
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- William Shatner (Captain James T. Kirk, ST:TOS) is the voice of Phillogenus “Phil the Plant” esk Piemondum, an alien invader in the upcoming film Aliens Ate My Homework. The film, based on the book series by Bruce Coville, comes to DVD on March 6, 2018, and also stars Jayden Greig (The Shape of Water) as Rod Allbright and Lauren McNamara (Falling for Vermont) as his cousin, Elspeth McMasters.
— William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) February 15, 2018
- Jason Isaacs (Captain Lorca, ST:Discovery) shared a night out with fellow Star Trek alumni, Sir Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard, ST:TNG), Simon Pegg (Scotty, Star Trek (2009)), and Shazad Latif (Ash Tyler, ST:Discovery). His hashtag game is on point!
- Star Trek: Discovery‘s Wilson Cruz (Dr. Hugh Culber) shared this week that he will be a presenter at the upcoming Costume Designers Guild Awards!
We're so thrilled to have @startrekcbs' @wcruz73 as a Presenter at the 20th Costume Designers Guild Awards in just one week! Costume design by @gershaphillips #CDGA #costumedesign #starktrekdiscovery pic.twitter.com/XrUALoVHBt
— CDGA (@CostumeAwards) February 13, 2018
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- Players of Star Trek‘s online collectible card game, Star Trek: Adversaries, did you know that Star Trek: Discovery‘s Lieutenant Commander Paul Stamets, portrayed by Anthony Rapp, is one of the cards available? Rapp seems thrilled about this news.
— Anthony Rapp (@albinokid) February 13, 2018
- This past week saw the season one finale of Star Trek: Discovery. Show writer Bo Yeon Kim celebrated by sharing a behind the scenes image from the bridge of the Discovery.
— Bo Yeon Kim (@extspace) February 11, 2018
- What do you get when makeup artists express their love of Star Trek? You get uniform painted lips! Bex Lecter shows off uniforms from Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Discovery in this tweet:
Convention Circuit: News and More
I’m breaking this out of the above segment, What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?, because there have been so many conventions pop up that I am worried about things getting too crowded.
[UPCOMING] Star Trek Las Vegas 2018 (August 01 – 05)
- Star Trek Las Vegas 2018 has well over 60 guests confirmed for the August convention. The newly announced guests include Clint Howard (Balok, ST:TOS / Grady, ST:DS9 / Muk, ST:Enterprise / Orion, ST:Discovery), Robert Duncan McNeill (Lieutenant Tom Paris, ST:Voyager), Chase Masterson (Leeta, ST:DS9), and Michael Forest (Apollo, ST:TOS). Read the full list of attendees HERE. Previously announced, Saturday night will have a concert by Nevada Pops Orchestra with Gary Graham‘s The Sons of Kirk as the house band.
[PAST] Planet Comicon 2018 (February 16 – 18)
- Kansas City’s Planet Comicon included new Star Trek favorite, Sonequa Martin-Green (Michael Burnham, ST:Discovery)! Martin-Green announced her arrival for the 20th Planet Comicon on Twitter and shared an update from the convention thanking a fan for sharing his artwork of her. Follow planetcomicon.com for updates on next year’s convention.
— Sonequa Martin-Green (@SonequaMG) February 16, 2018
Official (and Unofficial!) Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
- March 8, 2018 – Hotsy Totsy Burlesque’s Tribute to Star Trek in New York City, New York. This one night show is restricted to guests 21 and over, but it promises laughs and an adventure following Lwaxana Troi.
Last Thursday Hotsy Totsy paid tribute to The Ladies of Disney, and what a show it was! Thank you to Bimini Cricket,…
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
Latest posts by Talyna (see all)
- First MULAN Trailer Brings Honor to Us All - December 5, 2019
- Accessibility in Gaming: Print Your Own Braille Polyhedral Dice - October 16, 2019
- Geek Girl Authority Crush of the Week: DR. ELMA YORK - October 2, 2019