Stardate 95657.28 through 95676.43
January 21, 2018 – January 27, 2018
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:TNG, Season 2, Episode 6, “The Schizoid Man”, January 21, 1989
- ST:Voyager, Season 4, Episode 14, “Message in a Bottle”, January 21, 1998
- ST:Voyager, Season 5, Episode 11, “Latent Image”, January 21, 1999
- ST:Enterprise, Season 3, Episode 13, “Proving Ground”, January 21, 2004
- ST:Enterprise, Season 4, Episode 11, “Observer Effect”, January 21, 2005
- ST:Discovery, Season 1, Episode 12, “Vaulting Ambition”, January 21, 2018
- ST:Voyager, Season 2, Episode 14, “Alliances”, January 22, 1996
- ST:TNG, Season 1, Episode 13, “Angel One”, January 23, 1988
- ST:TNG, Season 6, Episode 12, “Ship in a Bottle”, January 23, 1993
- ST:Voyager, Season 1, Episode 2, “Parallax”, January 23, 1995
- ST:Enterprise, Season 1, Episode 13, “Dear Doctor”, January 23, 2002
- ST:DS9, Season 1, Episode 4, “Babel”, January 24, 1993
- ST:TOS, Season 3, Episode 17, “That Which Survives”, January 24, 1969
- ST:Voyager, Season 7, Episode 12, “Lineage”, January 24, 2001
- ST:TNG, Season 5, Episode 11, “Hero Worship”, January 25, 1992
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 19, “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”, January 26, 1967
- ST:TNG, Season 4, Episode 12, “The Wounded”, January 26, 1991
- ST:Voyager, Season 6, Episode 13, “Virtuoso”, January 26, 2000
- ST:TNG, Season 3, Episode 12, “The High Ground”, January 27, 1990
- ST:DS9, Season 5, Episode 12, “The Begotten”, January 27, 1997
- ST:Voyager, Season 5, Episode 12, “Bride of Chaotica”, January 27, 1999
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- Sir Patrick Stewart (Captain Jean-Luc Picard, ST:TNG) stole our hearts when he fostered (and had to give up) Ginger and started a partnership with Wags and Walks. Though Ginger has since been adopted out, Stewart still gives us updates on his journey with animal advocacy – including this heart warming happenstance while out for a walk with his wife, Sunny Ozell:
A few weeks back, @madameozell and I took a stroll down Larchmont Ave in Los Angeles and had a surreal chance encounter. Since fostering Ginger last year, we've become "those people" who ask to meet nearly every dog we see on the street, and this lovable 90 lb fella named Teddy was no exception. While we were scratching his gorgeous big noggin, his dad @jeffbetancort told us he’d adopted Teddy from @wagsandwalks because of our #gingergurl! Teddy is clearly well-loved. To think that our time fostering had brought another family together was just incredible, and filled our hearts. #adoptdontshop #endbsl #fosteringsaveslives (it really does)
- Star Trek: The Original Series‘ Sulu, George Takei, is rehearsing for the LA run of his Broadway play, Allegiance. He took a moment to pose for a selfie with fellow stage actor Greg Watanabe, who plays Mike Masaoka. The play will run from February 21st through April 1st at Japanes American Cultural & Community Center’s Aratani Theatre and tickets can be purchased HERE.
Deep into rehearsals for #AllegianceLA and having an incredible time. Here I am with actor Greg Watanabe, who plays the historical, controversial character Mike Masaoka. Tix at https://t.co/uqJsW6QIZV pic.twitter.com/eUTFhBnozv
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) January 23, 2018
- Star Trek writer and producer Ted Sullivan teamed up with #JasonGorn for an impromptu Twiter Q&A on Saturday, January 27th, while sitting at the airport. To see some of the questions and his responses, click through to his Twitter profile – but be warned: there may be spoilers for Star Trek: Discovery if you are not caught up!
— Ted Sullivan (@karterhol) January 27, 2018
- Star Trek: Discovery‘s Sarek, James Frain, will be at WizardWorld in St. Louis the first weekend of February and has slipped out a special code to get his fans 20% off general admission tickets! Use code FRAIN20 at checkout.
Hey y'all I'll be at Wizard World St Louis Feb 2-4th — you can now get 20% off the price of a general admission ticket when you use discount code FRAIN20 on Wizard World's website https://t.co/QBQs00jtIT see you there
— James Frain (@britjfrain) January 26, 2018
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- Please Stand By is a film about a young woman (Dakota Fanning) on a mission to get her 500-page Star Trek fan script to Paramount Pictures to enter a contest. In an exclusive clip obtained by startrek.com, the runaway Wendy (Fanning) is coaxed out of hiding from the police by Officer Frank (Patton Oswalt), who converses with her in Klingon. The dramedy, in theaters as of January 26 as well as available on iTunes and Amazon Video, also stars Toni Collette (Hearts Beat Loud), and Alice Eve (Star Trek: Into Darkness).
- IDW Publishing’s Star Trek: Boldly Go #16, part 4 of 6 of the I.D.I.C. story arc, is out now! The story is written by Mike Johnson with art by Angel Hernandez. Four covers are available featuring art from Hernandez, a Fun(ko) Pop design by Mike Martin, a still from the Star Trek Kelvin movie franchise, and art by Yoshi Yoshitani. The 32-page book retails for $3.99 USD and you can get your copy at your local comic book shop. Startrek.com has a preview of the first few pages.
- Issue #2 of IDW Publishing’s Star Trek: Discovery: The Light of Kahless is now available! The story is written by Mike Johnson and Star Trek: Discovery writer Kirsten Beyer. The art is by Tony Shasteen with color by J.D. Mettler and lettering by ANDWorld Design. There are four covers available: Cover A is by Shasteen, Cover B is a photograph from the television show, Cover RI A is by Aaron Harvey, and Cover RI B has art by Declan Shavley and color by Jordie Bellaire. The 32-page book retails for $3.99 USD and you can get your copy at your local comic book shop. Startrek.com has a preview of the first few pages.
- A new novel from Star Trek writer Kirsten Beyer is coming in March! Star Trek: Voyager: Architects of Infinity will be published by Simon & Schuster / Pocket Books. The 400-page book will retail for $7.99 USD and can be pre-ordered as a paperback or ebook at www.simonandschuster.com. The cover and synopsis are below:
As the Federation Starship Voyager continues to lead the Full Circle Fleet in its exploration of the Delta Quadrant, Admiral Kathryn Janeway remains concerned about the Krenim Imperium and its ability to rewrite time to suit its whims. At Captain Chakotay’s suggestion, however, she orders the fleet to focus its attention on a unique planet in a binary system, where a new element has been discovered. Several biospheres exist on this otherwise uninhabitable world, each containing different atmospheres and features that argue that other sentient beings once resided on the surface. Janeway hopes that digging into an old-fashioned scientific mystery will lift the crews’ morale, but she soon realizes that the secrets buried on this world may be part of a much larger puzzle—one that points to the existence of a species whose power to reshape the galaxy might dwarf even that of the Krenim.
Meanwhile, Lieutenants Nancy Conlon and Harry Kim continue to struggle with the choices related to Conlon’s degenerative condition. Full Circle’s medical staff discovers a potential solution, but complications will force a fellow officer intent on aiding Conlon to confront her people’s troubled past and her own future in ways she never imagined…
Official Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.