Stardate 95618.98 through 95638.13
January 14, 2018 – January 20, 2018
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:Voyager, Season 4, Episode 13, “Waking Moments”, January 14, 1998
- ST:Enterprise, Season 3, Episode 12, “Chosen Realm”, January 14, 2004
- ST:Enterprise, Season 4, Episode 10, “Daedalus”, January 14, 2005
- ST:Discovery, Season 1, Episode 11, “The Wolf Inside”, January 14, 2018
- ST:TNG, Season 7, Episode 13, “Homeward”, January 15, 1994
- ST:Voyager, Season 3, Episode 14, “Alter Ego”, January 15, 1997
- ST:Voyager, Season 2, Episode 13, “Prototype”, January 15, 1996
- ST:TNG, Season 1, Episode 12, “Datalore”, January 16, 1988
- ST:Voyager, Season 1, Episode 1, “Caretaker”, January 16, 1995
- ST:Enterprise, Season 1, Episode 12, “Silent Enemy”, January 12, 2002
- ST:DS9, Season 1, Episode 3, “A Man Alone”, January 17, 1993
- ST:TOS, Season 3, Episode 16, “The Mark of Gideon”, January 17, 1969
- ST:Voyager, Season 7, Episode 11, “Shattered”, January 2001
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 18, “Arena”, January 19, 1967
- ST:TOS, Season 2, Episode 18, “The Immunity Syndrome”, January 19, 1968
- ST:Voyager, Season 6, Episode 12, “Blink of an Eye”, January 19, 2000
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- Love him or hate him, Star Trek: Discovery‘s Captain Gabriel Lorca has been a fantastic role for Jason Isaacs. Isaacs has earned a nomination as Best TV Actor from Empire Magazine!
— Star Trek (@StarTrek) January 19, 2018
- Our neighbors to the north have their own special recognition society called The Order of Canada, which is the second highest merit available. Nominations are made available for any living Canadian citizen, and upwards of 800 nominations are submitted to and reviewed by the order’s Advisory Council. With the approval of the General Governor, new inductees are announced each year and, back in December, Star Trek‘s own William Shatner was announced as an inductee “for his iconic contributions to popular culture spanning theater, television and film, and for his philanthropic support of causes related to health care, the environment and the well-being of children.”
- Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, ST:TNG) teased an appearance on The Big Bang Theory by sharing a selfie of him sitting in Sheldon’s spot. Wheaton, a hockey fan on his own, is wearing a throwback sweater of the Hartford Whalers (who are now the Carolina Hurricanes). Anyone else love the Weaton/Cooper dynamic on TBBT?
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- In celebration of Star Trek: Voyager‘s anniversary on January 16, SYFY created a short retrospective video. The seven-series show, which debuted 23 years ago, starred Kate Mulgrew as Captain Kathryn Janeway — but did you know she was the second captain cast? Find out who was the first captain, along with many other informational tidbits in the video below:
- Newly announced from Titan Books, Star Trek: Lost Scenes will release in August with behind the scenes images, digitally restored snapshots, and reassembled deleted scenes. The 272-page book, written by David Tilotta and Curt McAloney, has more than 700 photographs and will retail for $39.95 USD. Startrek.com has a few preview pages posted, if you’d like to get more information on the book.
Convention Circuit: News and More
I’m breaking this out of the above segment, What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?, because there have been so many conventions pop up that I am worried about things getting too crowded.
[UPCOMING] Star Trek: The Cruise III (January 04 – 11, 2019)
- Newly announced guests for Star Trek: The Cruise III (2019) were revealed during the recent Star Trek: The Cruise II (2018). Appearing on deck will be (alphabetically) Rene Auberjonois (Odo, ST:DS9), Casey Biggs (Damar / Dr. Wykoff, ST:DS9, | Illyrian Captain, ST:Enterprise), Mary Chieffo (L’Rell, ST:Discovery), Denise Crosby (Lietenant Tasha Yar / Sela , ST:TNG), Wilson Cruz (Dr. Hugh Culber, ST:Discovery), John de Lancie (Q, ST:TNG), Michael Dorn (Lieutenant Commander Worf, ST:TNG), Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker, ST:TNG), Chase Masterson (Leeta, ST:DS9), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG), Ethan Phillips (Neelix, ST:Voyager), Robert Picardo (Doctor, ST:Voyager), Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi, ST:TNG), Brent Spiner (Commander Data, ST:TNG), Connor Trinneer (Commander Charles ‘Trip’ Tucker III, ST:Enterprise), Nana Visitor (Major Kira Nerys, ST:DS9), and Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, ST:TNG). There are sure to be more guest announcements in the coming months, so stay tuned! Tickets for the cruise have already opened up for purchase and you can book now at the official Star Trek: The Cruise webpage!
Official (and Unofficial!) Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
- January 12, 2018 – January 27, 2018 – USS Improvise: The Next Generation: The Musical at the Funhouse Lounge in Portland, Oregon. Rated “PG-13-ish”, the Funhouse Lounge Improv Company presents a musical improv set around Captain Picard and the Enterprise. Shows are every Friday and Saturday evening at 7pm with general admission tickets at $12 and table/booth reservations available for $34-$70.
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
- A Mother’s Day Salute to All Mothers - May 9, 2021
- Celebrating MOTHER’S DAY with Our Favorite Comic Book Mothers - May 9, 2021
- Eyes Up! NASA KINET-X Mission Launch Viewable in Eastern US on May 8 - May 6, 2021