Stardate 95618.98 through 95638.13
January 07, 2018 – January 13, 2018
- To read last week’s GGA Ready Room, Follow this link!
- To find any Star Trek news on Geek Girl Authority, Click on this link!
In the News: What did we miss?
Were there any juicy tidbits that GGA did not feature this week? Find it here!
- According to a report from The Wrap, CBS and Viacom may soon re-merge. Viacom and CBS split back in 2005 with Viacom taking ownership of Paramount Pictures – which means that the rights to Star Trek are split between the two companies. With the re-merger rumor, there is potential that all of Star Trek will once again be held under one company. This means that there could be potential for a Marvel move with film and television crossover (but, please, not with Discovery; perhaps with a new show, set in the future? Or a Kelvin-timeline show?).
- University of Tennessee doctoral candidate Hannah Gunderman is working for her PhD through the Department of Geography, which is not the department you’d expect to have studying Star Trek. Gunderman has teamed up with other researchers across the world for a series of articles studying the geographical concepts in the sci-fi universe. University of Tennessee’s campus paper, The Daily Beacon, has more information if you’d like to read more about Gunderman’s work.
A Look Back This Week in Star Trek History
What episodes of what shows aired this time in history? What movies were released? If these are questions you constantly ask, you’ll find the answer here!
- ST:TNG, Season 2, Episode 5, “Loud as a Whisper”, January 7, 1989
- ST:Discovery, Season 1, Episode 10, “Despite Yourself”, January 7, 2018
- ST:TNG, Season 7, Episode 12, “The Pegasus”, January 8, 1994
- ST:DS9, Season 4, Episode 11, “Paradise Lost”, January 8, 1996
- ST:Voyager, Season 3, Episode 13, “Fair Trade”, January 8, 1997
- ST:DS9, Season 6, Episode 11, “Waltz”, January 8, 1998
- ST:Enterprise, Season 2, Episode 13, “Dawn”, January 8, 2003
- ST:TNG, Season 1, Episode 11, “The Big Goodbye”, January 9, 1988
- ST:DS9, Season 2, Episode 12, “The Alternate”, January 9, 1994
- ST:DS9, Season 3, Episode 12, “Past Tense: Part II”, January 9, 1995
- ST:DS9, Season 1, Episode 2, “Past Prologue”, January 10, 1993
- ST:TOS, Season 3, Episode 15, “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”, January 10, 1969
- ST:TOS, Season 1, Episode 17, “The Squire of Gothos”, January 12, 1967
- ST:TOS, Season 2, Episode 17, “A Piece of the Action”, January 12, 1968
- ST: The Animated Series, Season 1, Episode 16, “The Jihad”, January 12, 1974
- ST:Voyager, Season 6, Episode 11, “Fair Haven”, January 12, 2000
What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?
- Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi, ST:TNG) made a surprise appearance at Paradise City Comic Con this past weekend!
Good news! I’m a last-minute addition this weekend @ParadiseCityCon in Miami. If you’re in the area, come and say hi. 👋
— Marina Sirtis (@Marina_Sirtis) January 8, 2018
— Marina Sirtis (@Marina_Sirtis) January 14, 2018
- The original Captain Kirk, William Shatner (ST:TOS), returned this last week in the second season of Better Late Than Never.
— Better Late Than Never (@nbcbetterlate) January 9, 2018
- Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, ST:TNG) took time out of his day to work with NASA to teach children about supernova facts…starting with the fact that the plural of ‘supernova’ is ‘supernovae’!
I helped NASA make a silly video for kids about supernovae! https://t.co/nV1k4mGtyQ
— Wil 'Kick the Nazis off the tweeters' Wheaton (@wilw) January 12, 2018
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine‘s Chase Masterson (Leeta/Emony Dax) was announced to be on an upcoming panel, The Story Collider, co-hosted by GGA’s own Audrey Kearns!
.#LosAngeles! There's a new Story Collider on 1/25. I'm co-hosting & I'd love to see your faces!. The theme is "JOURNEYS"-We've got amazing storytellers including #StarTrek #DS9's @ChaseMasterson, comedian @JosephScrimshaw & astrophysicist @corbett! TIX https://t.co/qJX9c5GbMN pic.twitter.com/xp3d0U85Iy
— Audrey Kearns (@audreykearns) January 14, 2018
Whether it be fan art, a mash-up music video, music from the series, game related news, or just recently discovered concept art, below you will find all the arts of Star Trek from this week.
- The second collected volume of Star Trek: Boldy Go is now available. The 144 page book incorporates issues #7 through #12 and has a cover design by George Caltsoudas. The issues are written by Mike Johnson and Ryan Parrott with art by Tony Shasteen and Megan Levens. Find the new collection at your local comic shop for $19.99.
Convention Circuit: News and More
I’m breaking this out of the above segment, What have our favorite Star Trek players been up to?, because there have been so many conventions pop up that I am worried about things getting too crowded.
[UPCOMING] Star Trek Las Vegas 2018 (August 01 – 05)
- Now joining the many guests for Star Trek Las Vegas 2018 is Jason Isaacs (Captain Gabriel Lorca, ST:Discovery), Gates McFadden (Dr. Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG), Jonathan Frakes (Commander William T. Riker, ST:TNG), LeVar Burton (Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge, ST:TNG), and Michael Westmore (Makeup Department). Read the full list of attendees HERE. Also announced: Saturday night will have a concert by Nevada Pops Orchestra and Gary Graham‘s The Sons of Kirk will be the house band.
[UPCOMING] Destination Star Trek: Germany 2018 (April 27 – 29) & Destination Star Trek: Birmingham 2018 (October 19 – 21)
- Star Trek: Discovery‘s Captain Lorca, Jason Isaacs, joins the hefty lineup for both upcoming European conventions, Destination Star Trek: Germany & Destination Star Trek: Birmingham.
Official (and Unofficial!) Federation Sanctioned Events
If you are lucky enough to live near enough, one of the following events coming up this month may be of interest to you. If you do attend, take pictures and let us know how it went!
- May 21, 2016 – September 30, 2018 – Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds in Seattle, Washington. This event is an exhibition showcasing the impact that Star Trek has had on every day life from culture and arts to technology and even sports.
- October 28, 2017 – May 28, 2018 – Starfleet Academy Experience in Jersey City, New Jersey. The interactive exhibit resides inside the Liberty Science Center and allows fans to get a feel for the life of a Starfleet Cadet. Attendees begin at orientation, learn what is required to be in science, engineering, medical, and command, and end with graduation. The exhibit includes the real-life science behind the show, including the science developed or inspired by Star Trek.
- January 12, 2018 – January 27, 2018 – USS Improvise: The Next Generation: The Musical at the Funhouse Lounge in Portland, Oregon. Rated “PG-13-ish”, the Funhouse Lounge Improv Company presents a musical improv set around Captain Picard and the Enterprise. Shows are every Friday and Saturday evening at 7pm with general admission tickets at $12 and table/booth reservations available for $34-$70.
Neutral Fan Zone
Becoming the Fan of the Week is a simple two step process:
- Follow @geekgirlauth and
- Tweet any GGA Star Trek article with the tags #GGANews FanZone.
Boldly Go On Your Way
This wraps up this week’s GGA Ready Room! Thank you for joining us as we explore the universe of Star Trek, one week at a time. If I missed anything, please let me know and it’ll be included in next week’s news round up! Until next time, boldly go on your way, in your own way, and report back your findings.
Latest posts by Talyna (see all)
- First MULAN Trailer Brings Honor to Us All - December 5, 2019
- Accessibility in Gaming: Print Your Own Braille Polyhedral Dice - October 16, 2019
- Geek Girl Authority Crush of the Week: DR. ELMA YORK - October 2, 2019