The new HBO Max streaming service boasts a hefty and exclusive film and television series library. In addition to that, their upcoming original programming schedule is robust. Evidently that wasn’t enough for HBO Max, they’ve now joined forces with DC Comics for a new original digital comic book series called To the Max.
To the Max features stories about ordinary people achieving their maximum potential when they transform into extraordinary superheroes with the help of another new character, Max the dog. Three 8-page chapters are available now and feature everyday people, Hector, Brian and Olivia — see what they did there. The trio meet Max and gain superpowers.
According to the press release, the digital comic series will have lots of Easter Eggs and ‘fun nods’ towards the HBO Max premium content that is now available including Friends, Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, Sex and the City, Scooby-Doo and more. One can see the team-up is a big marketing push for the streaming service but it also seems like a great way to get folks engaged with the service. Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, Warner Media Entertainment and Direct-To-Consumer commented on many titles crossing over with the comic series saying “These fun, original stories depict a diverse range of ordinary individuals who are symbolic of the depth and breadth of programming that is available on the platform, driving home the message that HBO Max has something for everyone.”
DC Chief Creative Officer and Publisher Jim Lee added, “We are excited to share these new and original stories of Hector, Brian, Olivia and Max with the DC fans, and all fans of great entertainment content. These are superhero stories at their core, but they are also a pop culture scavenger hunt for the most media savvy!”
The To the Max comics are available now for free on digital retailers such as DC UNIVERSE, DCComics.com, Apple iBookstore, Google Play Store, Kindle, Nook, Hoopla, Overdrive, and in the DC Comics app, ComiXology app and Madefire app for iOS and Android.
Below is more information about the three stories out now:
- To The Max: Hector – When a schoolteacher finds a mysterious device, it sends him flying into an incredible outer-space rescue mission. Cover art by Jim Lee, penciled by Scot Eaton, and written by Ivan Cohen.
- To The Max: Brian – A scuba instructor is transformed into a superhero who must save innocent people from a deadly storm in Singapore. Cover art by Jorge Jimenez, penciled by Hendry Prasetya, and written by Ivan Cohen.
- To The Max: Olivia – A down-on-her-luck standup comic is all that stands between her audience and gun-toting criminals who plan to rob a Las Vegas casino. Cover art by Amanda Conner, penciled by Laura Braga and written by Ivan Cohen.
- We Asked Which Fictional Female Character Would Make the Best President and the Internet Answered! - March 21, 2021
- 17 Yule Log Videos That Will Bring You Nerdy Comfort This Holiday Season - December 31, 2020
- This Holiday Name Generator Is Ridiculously Fun! - December 21, 2020