Today during the Disney Studios panel at D23, fans were able to get excited about the final film in the Skywalker saga. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is out in 4 months and excitement is, you could say, palpable. Some footage was shown, a new poster was unveiled, and we learned a little more about one of the new characters coming to the franchise.
During the Star Wars segment, some of the actors from the film got on stage to tease fans with tid bits from the film. Unfortunately their time was very, very brief so not much was shared. EW reported that Anthony Daniels “doesn’t understand the story is ending” but that fans are going to love it. Meanwhile Keri Russell gave a little insight on her character Zorii Bliss saying “She’s very cool and a little bit shady. She’s kind of a criminal and old friend of Poe’s.” We had previously learned that she is a scoundrel residing in the Thieves’ Quarters.
One of the biggest things to come out of the panel was a sizzle reel only showed to audience members. Lucky for the rest of us, they plan to debut it on Monday. IGN gave a breakdown of what was shown with a gut punch of a final shot. Here’s what IGN describes for the footage:
- We see some old Original Trilogy footage, including Luke staring at twin suns and shots of Han and Leia.
- The same Luke voiceover from the teaser trailer – “A thousand generations are in you now, but this is your fight.”
- More clips from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
- Wording on screen – “The story of a generation comes to an end.”
- Hundreds of Star destroyers all lined up against a dark sky.
- Rey throwing lightsaber and calling it back to her hand, Thor-style.
- Rey and Kylo Ren fighting on a watery planet, really going at each other.
- Palpatine says, “Now your journey nears its end.” Darth Vader can be heard breathing.
- The footage ends with Rey holding red, twin-bladed lightsaber looking all creepy and Dark Side!
Additional shots described by EW include a new shot of Darth Vader’s helmet, Finn and new character Jannah together in a cockpit, C-3PO with red eyes, and a “gang of heroes” approaching a bustling desert city.
First of all – AHHHHHH! Second, Rey holding a red lightsaber is a little worrisome. It could always be a Force vision, as she has that ability, but we don’t need our Rey of light (pun intended) to go to the Dark side. She was even described to be wearing dark, hooded robes. Hopefully it’s just a Force vision! However, since her debut in The Force Awakens, I’ve been dying of her to wield a double bladed lightsaber. All her work with her staff would’ve made it perfect. So I’m hoping that comes over into reality, even if the rest of it is a vision.
They concluded the panel by revealing a brand new poster showing Rey and Kylo Ren facing off against one another on a broken piece of what could be a starship. In fact, it could be a broken piece of the second Death Star we see Rey and friends looking at in the teaser trailer. We know they’ll confront one another on a watery battleground due to the Vanity Fair pictures released earlier this year. In the background looms the biggest puppet master of them all – Emperor Palpatine. How is he back? What role does he have to play? We’ll have to wait and see.
Check out the poster below and let us know what you think! Are you excited for the film? Be sure to come back to Geek Girl Authority for more Star Wars news.
The saga concludes on December 20th, 2019.
- Rock Your Next RPG Session with LIBRARY BARD’s Parody Song “DND” - November 18, 2020
- 9 Times Batman and Catwoman’s Love Was Honest and Heart Wrenching - October 29, 2020
- 8 Powerful Women That Rule the Galaxy in STAR WARS - May 18, 2020