You’ve probably already heard about The Big Bang Theory calling it quits after the season that starts next Monday, September 24. If they’re smart, Season 12 will be a long-form victory lap: leaning in to the things the show does best, bringing back fan-fave characters and guest stars and giving Penny (Kaley Cuoco) something substantial to do before her chance is gone forever.
The news of the show’s impending conclusion broke August 22nd, and Entertainment Weekly was the first to identify Jim Parsons as the cast member most directly responsible for it. The next day, Parsons posted this on Instagram (swipe through for his thoughts):
Some of his castmates chimed in around the ‘gram as well…
This ride has been a dream come true and as life changing as it gets. No matter when it was going to end , my heart would have always been broken in two. Drowning in tears, we promise to bring you the best season yet. To the fans, our crew, families, Chuck Lorre, Warner Brothers , CBS, and everyone who has supported us for so many years, thank you. We are goin out with a bang 💫 @bigbangtheory_cbs
As you may already know… and for those of you who don’t. This will officially be Big Bang Theory’s last season. After season 12 we will be the longest running multi camera sitcom in the history of television. There are no words in any language that can describe what my heart wants to say… The love that I feel for all of you is boundless. Without you the fans there would be no us. Tonight I sleep with a prayer of gratitude on my lips. This isn’t goodbye… yet… still 23 eps to shoot! #tbbt
Mayim, I will miss you most of all. If you feel like granting any wishes, please go grab either Danica McKellar for a “smart women in real life” reality show about science and math or Fred Savage for a scripted comedy. I don’t know why I want you to create a Blossom/The Wonder Years mash-up, but I’m pretty sure either would be a big winner.
Despite the big news, it’s early yet for tears, BBT fans. We still have 24 episodes with America’s favorite sitcom, so let’s quickly recap where we left the key players.
- ShAmy (Parsons & Bialik): Officially married, and by Mark Hamill! (Sorry, Wil Wheaton.) Also, Amy inspired Sheldon to discover super-asymmetry at their wedding. That’ll be a hard day to top!
- Penny (Cuoco): She and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) co-discovered a comet and she crushed being Amy’s Maid of Honor. Otherwise, she had a pretty stagnant season of general malaise in her pharmaceutical sales career and not a lot of meaty storylines.
- Leonard (Johnny Galecki): Validated Sheldon’s big discovery, brokered peace between Sheldon and his brother, president of the tenants’ association. Boring.
- Bernadette (Melissa Rauch): Mother of two, still in love with her career.
- Howard (Simon Helberg): Father of two; directly responsible for landing Mark Hamill as ShAmy’s wedding officiant.
- Raj (Nayyar): Lucky to have his name attached to the comet Penny discovered with his equipment. Disappointingly creepy to a lot of women in Season 11.
- Stuart (Kevin Sussman) somehow making more headway with ladies than Raj, thanks to his new assistant manager, Denise (Lauren Lapkus), being a die-hard Star Wars fan.
The Big Bang Theory returns to CBS on Monday, September 24 at 8/7c.
- WANDAVISION Finale Recap: (S01E09) The Series Finale - March 5, 2021
- WANDAVISION Recap: (S01E08) Previously On - February 28, 2021
- WANDAVISION Recap: (S01E07) Breaking the Fourth Wall - February 19, 2021